100 days of making
Participants commit to a single topic to pursue for 100 consecutive days. The objectives of the exercise are to pursue a sustained creative practice and to produce a body of work on a theme. Participants inevitably improve their technical abilities over the course.
- Every daily artifact should be produced in 45 minutes to an hour.
- Post every day. Creative community is a rare thing and while we are undertaking this together we should actively support one another.
- Don't miss a day.
Iteration and its impact on your creative process is the theme of this class. The format of the course turns its head on the traditional class structure and instead of focusing on syllabus that builds to a final project, the course is focused on a daily, iterative practice. Students will identify a theme, idea or topic they would like to explore over the course of 100 days and must commit to making or producing a variation on that idea and posting social evidence of their work every day for 100 days. Projects can focus on building, writing, drawing, programming, photographing, designing, composing or any creative expression. In parallel to the making, in-class lectures will examine the work of artists whose work has been defined by iteration and discuss the role of discipline and routine in the creative process
100 days of webtoys
My goals are to practice code, to explore delightful interactions, and to have 100 tools to build full experiences with in the future. I've created "webtoys" of varying complexity before (1,2,3) but these experiments will all be sketches, often focusing on a single HTML element or CSS property.
- ⎌ curious webtoys allow the creator to explore something new to them.
- ☄ surprising webtoys contain something unexpected.
- ⥉ viable webtoys reveal potential for future iteration and play.
Each day should aim fulfill a single criteria. Fulfilling multiple criteria in one day is exceptional. It is acceptable to have a day that does not fulfill any criteria because it's ok to make bad things.
- All UI will be from unicode symbols. I'll keep some of my favorites here. All fonts will be system fonts.
- All assets will be texture images that I've collected over the years.
- These are the only colors I can use:
- Libraries and reused code are allowed and encouraged.
- No optimizing for mobile unless something's very special.
- After 30 days iterating on previous days is allowed.
- After 50 days styling exercises (fonts, custom assets) are allowed. (This will still kind of be considered a cheat day.)